Who We Help

Victims of Domestic AbuseVisas for Victims of Domestic Abuse


Victims of Domestic Abuse

If you are a victim of domestic violence and you are a spouse, parent, or child of a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (the abuser) you may be able to obtain permanent residence through a statute referred to as “VAWA” – based on the Violence Against Women Act. The following things must be proven for eligibility:

Proof of relationship to U.S. citizen/LPR spouse, parent, child
Proof of perpetrator’s U.S. citizenship or LPR status
If marriage, proof that marriage entered into in good faith
Proof of battery or extreme cruelty (physical OR mental)
Proof of the victim’s good moral character
A U visa is a temporary visa for victims of domestic violence and other qualifying crimes and can also eventually lead to permanent residence.

It does NOT require a marital, parental, or child relationship to the perpetrator.
It does NOT require the perpetrator to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
It does NOT require the victim to be legal in the U.S.
If you are a victim of domestic violence and are not related to the perpetrator or the perpetrator is also not a permanent resident/U.S. citizen, you may qualify for this type of visa.

For more information on VAWA or U visas, contact Colorado law firm, Law Office of Catherine Brown, LLC or Denver and Boulder immigration attorney Catherine Brown to schedule a consultation. Contact us online at or call us at 303-322-2117.

Schedule a consultation

The button below will redirect you to the calendar.

Schedule Now

Law Office of Catherine Brown
111 N. Public Rd.
Lafayette CO 80026